Whole-30 Challenge


As Summer approaches, we decided to try a new lifestyle diet that my in-laws tried. They seemed to have good success on it, and after studying its process, it is not that much different than what we have been doing.

The book, Whole 30-The 30-Day Guide to Total Health and Food Freedom, is written by Melissa Hartwig and Dallas Hartwig. There are both certified sports nutritionists, along with other credentials. So at a first glance, they seem like they are familiar with nutrition and food.

The goal of this "diet" is for one to break certain emotional ties one has with food. The program claims that it breaks certain habits with eating food, while at the same time providing food that helps improve sleep quality, energy, and mood just to name a few. It can also point out food sensitivities as one begins to incorporate certain foods back in their diet.

My wife and I began the process today. What I am excited about is it is not a huge lifestyle change that we had to make to begin. We were in the most part "clean eaters" and did it quite well. What I'm not excited about is there is no "cheat day" and no cheese or dairy during the process. This will take some adjusting, but I believe it is not a huge hurdle. To put in perspective, the author of Whole-30 put it this way:

"It is not hard. Don't you dare tell us this is hard. Quitting heroin is hard. Beating cancer is hard. Drinking your coffee black. Is. Not. Hard."

I'm looking forward to trying this program, and I hope to be cooking dishes from the recipe book and share them on my blog. So stay tuned!

Visit the program Whole-30.com


Post a Comment