UMI Columbus Review
My wife and I went out on a date to celebrate our 8th wedding anniversary and we decided we wanted sushi. A place that we had been many times before is a place called UMI. I do, however need to give a little backstory about this place and were it all started at UMI for us.
Earlier in our marriage we lived in a little city called Columbus, Mississippi and we were distraught that there were no good sushi places there. We looked up on the internet a small sushi place in Starkville, called UMI. It was located in a small lot in a strip mall. We weren't sure at the time how it would be. When we arrived we were escorted in to our own little room. In fact, here is a picture of me looking at the sushi menu:
It was Christmas Eve, so it wasn't very busy, and the owner spent a lot of time with us. In fact, he let us try some sushi he had been working on. We ordered, and all the sushi was wonderful. The only thing that made us sad that night was that Starkville was a little but of a distance away for sushi. It was great.
Fast forward about seven years later. Now UMI has grown in Starkville, and now has its own restaurant in Columbus! It is a full restaurant with dining tables and hibachi tables as well.
As many times as we have been there, I thought I would share a review of the restaurant.
1. The atmosphere: The atmosphere resembles any typical Asian flare restaurant that has hibachi and dinner tables. The restaurant was acceptably clean and the designs were nice. There were flat screen TVs located at every corner of the restaurant for those interested in sports. The hibachi areas were located on opposite side of the dinner tables so there is not much distraction when eating at a normal table. Since we were eating just sushi, we sat at a regular table. The atmosphere was quite good, and it was a very happening place, due to a large amount of people coming in and out of the restaurant.
2. The service: The service was average to above average. We did have to wait just a few minutes after ordering our drinks, but it was not overly long. We noticed our waitress had a whole section so we knew she was busy.
3. The food: The food was excellent. We started out by ordering the vegetable tempura, which is coated and fried mushrooms, sweet potatoes, zucchini, broccoli, and onion. It was a great starter before our main meal.
Our main meal was sushi, and UMI delivered. They brought out a very decorative plate of assorment of sushi, and also had a blinking light in the middle! Here is a picture of our dish:
Here are the rolls we received: Philly Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, Dynamite Roll, Volcano Roll, and Orange Dragon Roll. Every one of the rolls were great. What made the rolls even better was the YumYum sauce that is provided at every table to dip your sushi in.
What was my favorite? Probably the Volcano Roll. It was cream cheese and tempura shrimp stuffed sushi with spicy crab salad on top. I believe they put panko on top of the crab salad and bake it. It was phenomenal. My least favorite? Probably the Dynamite Roll. I have eaten other dynamite rolls that have been better. Plus dynamite rolls at every Japanese steakhouse seem to be different.
4. Price: The price was very reasonable. Some of the rolls were only 5 dollars a piece. Only one was more expensive. However it was the most tasty.
5. Overall: A great place for a family, a date, a business meeting, or whatever reason you can make up to come. It has great food, good service and its not too loud to have good conversation. They also have the hibachi, which is entertaining as well. If you are ever in Starkville or Columbus, Mississippi, try this place out!
1721 Highway 45 N STE 1
Columbus, MS 39705
4:30 pm-10:00 pm
315 Highway 12 West
Starkville, MS 39759
4:30 pm – 10:00 pm