Roasted Chicken With Turnip Greens


Yum
 


I love oven roasted chicken. I also love turnip greens. I thought to myself, "Why can't I have both?" This little creation was born. I love the combination here. The roasted chicken came out perfect as it always does with my method, and the turnip greens were spot on.

2 chicken thighs
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
2 sprigs lemon thyme

Take your chicken and sprinkle salt, pepper, garlic powder, and paprika on the skin side. Place in a cast iron skillet with skin side up. Place a sprig of lemon thyme on each piece. Place in an oven preheated to 225 degrees and cook for 2 1/2 hours.

While that is cooking and about an hour before the chicken is done, here are the turnip greens:

2 cups turnip greens
1/4 of a cajun smoke sausage, cubed
1/2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tsp black pepper
2 tsp olive oil

In a medium sized boiler, fill a little over halfway with water. Add greens and turn burner to high, and get a high boil going. Reduce heat to medium-low and add salt, pepper, olive oil, and sausage. Cover and cook for one hour, or until the greens are tender.

If the chicken is not as brown as you like, place on broil for 2 minutes until golden golden. Serve and eat. I added some lemon thyme sprigs on top for decoration, and also rubbing the skin for more thyme flavor. It was a great combination!