Salmon with Rutabega Mash and Sweet Potato Leek and Spinach Soup



I am a member of The Ready Steady Cook Club, and from time to time we have cook-offs.  It is kind of like Chopped for Facebook! Check them out and join if you want a challenge! It has been a good experience thus far. For our cook-off I had to create a dish with these items:

Salmon
Leeks
Swede (Rutabaga)
Spinach
Passion Fruit

Instead of giving an ingredient list I'll share what I did:


I did the leeks and spinach two ways. 1. I took 2 cups of turkey broth with 1 leek and 1/2 of a large sweet potato and about 1/2 cup of spinach and made a broth with it, letting it cook for about 2 hours. It sieved the liquid out to make a soup.



I took the swede (rutabaga) and chopped it up with about 1 cup of cauliflower and boiled it in salted water for about 25 minutes. After cooked, I drained and added 1 tbsp minced garlic, 2 tbsp plain Greek yogurt, 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese and 1 cup of almond milk,. I emulsified until rich and creamy. Salted and peppered to taste.



I took another leek and roasted it with the other half of the sweet potato for about 10 minutes.






I pan seared the salmon(just salted, peppered, and smoked paprika) skin side down to try to get a crispy skin due to the sauce going on top. After searing on both sides for about 4 minutes per side, I placed in the oven on 300 degrees and let cook while I composed my dish.

For the passion fruit, the only thing I had was passion fruit juice( no local stores carried it), so I also added 1/2 cup of papaya, and 1/2 cup of the juice in a boiler. I then added 1 pint of heavy cream and 2 tsp of salt. I let it cook down and then emulsified it till all pieces are cut up. I then put it through a sieve twice and put in a bottle container to place over fish. I took the leek/sweet potato/spinach soup and placed it in my "serving" bowl. I added the roasted leek and sweet potato to the soup and then topped with raw spinach. I took the cauliflower mash and plated. I turned the oven on broil with the salmon skin side up to further crisp the top. I took the fish out and plated the fish on top of the mash. Put the other roasted leek on the plate, put some of my cream sauce over salmon, and garnished it with more roasted sweet potatoes and raw spinach. Time's up! Please step back!