Homemade Bacon-Time to Bring that Bacon Home



Every now and then I make a discovery that brightens my day.  My wife and I had went to Sams and bought some pork butts that were relatively cheap. We decided due to the size, we would cut the butts in quarters and make 2 small roasts, and two batches of pork steaks.

As I was trimming the meat, I noticed a nice fat cap on one side. I usually remove this and discard it, but I noticed something. As I cut the cap off I actually cook a layer of the meat with it. So I ask myself the question, I wonder if I could slice it thin and make bacon? The result? You bet your bacon you can! This is what I did.

1 Boston butt
2 tbsp kosher salt
2 tbsp brown sugar
grill, used for smoking and hickory

Take the fat caps from the Boston butt and remove them, but leave some meat on it. Then slice long -way down the cap and slice into about 1/8 of an inch pieces.Take your kosher salt and put generously on your caps and do the same with the brown sugar. Place it in the fridge, covered, over night.

After you have seasoned it, take the bacon out and rinse it off. You can store it in the freezer for later or you can go ahead and get it ready to cook.

On a smoker grill with hickory smoke,try to regulate your grill temp to about 200 degrees. Smoke bacon for about  1 1/2 hours.

Take back and place in a oven on 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.

No joke, this bacon was better than store bought! This should yield you about 10-12 pieces. Try it sometime!

Popular Posts