Smoked Ribs

I had the opportunity a while back to smoke a small rack of baby back ribs as I was cooking some steaks. It began to rain about halfway through the cooking process, so I just finished it in the oven, something I normally do anyway. They were quite tender and had good flavor. In fact, I hardly put any barbecue  sauce on them. White or red sauce. So here is what you'll need:

1 rack baby back ribs
1 tbsp kosher salt
1/2 tbsp black pepper
1/2 tbsp garlic powder
One tbsp smoked paprika
1 bag Kingsford charcoal
About five water-soaked chunks of hickory 

Setting up the grill:
I once again do the indirect method of cooking the ribs. If you missed the first post about indirect method, click here. Place your hot coals and five soaked hickory chunks on one side of the grill. The ribs will go on the other.

Sprinkle all of your spices on your meat, and only on the meat side facing up. . Start with salt, pepper, garlic powder then paprika.

Place on foil wrap but do not wrap up. Once again make sure meat side is up where you placed spices. You want the smoke to change the color of the top part of the meat. 

Ideally, you are to let it cook on the smoker for 2 1/2  to three hours, But it began to rain hard on my grill. I I cooked for about 1 1/2 hours on grill and 1 1/2 hours in the oven at 225. 

The ribs were very tender but not falling off the bone. I don't like ribs that fall all to pieces. 

And that is it! They were a tasty treat for our family one night that was quick to whip up.





Post a Comment