New Year's Hot Wings

Some recipes are completely from by brain. You will probably notice that some recipes that I do are based from another source and sometime tweaked.  Well I must say this recipe is pretty much near perfection so I didn't change it hardly at all to fit my preferences. I'm talking about a chicken wings recipe that is so good, you almost don't want to go out and eat them anymore. People will think you fried them, however they are baked wings. And fairly simple. The only thing you need for this recipe is time. I used this method at a wings competition and I actually won best overall wings for Honey Sriracha wings.  The source link for this material once again is Chef John at Foodwishes.com. (You are going to find that I use many of his recipes, but I tweak them for my own.) So here is what you will need:


2.5 lbs chicken wings (I made about two batches)
Two tbsp aluminum free baking powder (please make sure aluminum free)
One tbsp kosher salt (not table salt)
One tsp pepper
One tsp paprika
Baking sheets
Oven preheated to 425 degrees


I want to make a note and a disclaimer here before you do anything. When purchasing the ingredients please make sure you buy aluminum free baking powder. If you don't want your wings to taste like Optimus Prime or the remnants of Ultron's short lived age, then get aluminum free. It can quite possibly leave a metallic aftertaste in your mouth.


Weigh out your wings. 2.5 lbs.

In a bowl, mix together your baking powder, salt, pepper, and paprika.

Coat wings in about half the mixture. Toss together. Put the rest and toss some more.

Place wings on baking pan. Place in a preheated 425 degree oven. Cook for 14 minutes.

After 14 minutes remove from oven and turn. Place back in oven for 14 more minutes.

After 14 more minutes remove again and turn. Place back for another 14 minutes.
Remove again and turn. Place for 15 minutes back in oven.


Here are the wings after about an  hour of cooking.

I put mine in for about seven more minutes to crisp up a little more.


I put mine in a crock pot for warmth while I prepped sauces and other dishes.

When ready, I placed my wings in a wok. Just my preference.

Take any of your favorite sauces and pour over top. Toss together.




















































Serve on a dish and enjoy!


Some notes: I will probably invest in something that can raise the wings off the baking sheet. They tended to stick a little. That or foil wrap on the bottom. However it didn't effect the taste or presentation of the wings. Also, if you are using sauces that are high in sodium, I would cut back on the amount of kosher salt used on the wings. Now, on to sauces! I made three types of sauces for the wings.
Honey Barbecue Wings
For the Honey Barbecue sauce:
1/4 cup barbecue sauce (any sweet variety)
1/4 cup honey
One tbsp water
One tsp rice vinegar

Mix all contents well and toss with wings. I tossed this amount with 10 wings.


Garlic Parmesan Wings.
For the Garlic Parmesan sauce:
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (You can add more if  you like; I won't judge) 
One stick of butter
Three tbsp of minced garlic (I used the kind in a jar, but you can use fresh)
One tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp kosher salt


Mix all contents well and toss with wings. I tossed this amount with 12 wings.

Honey Sriracha Wings.

For the Honey Sriracha sauce:
1/3 cup Sriracha 
1/3 cup Honey
One tbsp seasoned rice vinegar
The recipe calls for 1/4 tsp sesame oil, but you can omit this if  you like.

Mix all contents well. I did not use all of the mixture because I only did six wings. The reason being is my wife and daughter will not eat spicy. So this is my plate. Tee hee. 


So there you have it. I hope you try these because the wings turn out as well as if you fried them. 



Post a Comment