Coffee Crusted Steak-The Best Part of Waking Up? Steak!



It is getting to the point I would rather stay at home and cook a steak than go out. I can get the flavors pretty well, and get meat at a cheaper cost. Well I tried this recipe for coffee roasted steak and I must say it was great. No bitterness of coffee on the steak. Here is what I did:

I want to note this is a variation of a recipe I found on pinterest, and you can find the ratios here. Also the flat-iron was cut into three pieces, and the rub is used for only one piece. Here is what you will need:

One packaged flat-iron steak
One tbsp ground coffee of your choice (I used Starbucks Christmas dark roast)
One tbsp sugar
One tbsp seasoned salt
One tsp black pepper
Two tsp smoked paprika




Remove flat-iron steak from package. Pat really dry with a paper towel or some other absorbent. Sprinkle kosher salt over both sides of steak, just enough to cover. Place back into fridge for about an hour. The salt will pull up more moisture during this time and we want the steaks to be as dry as possible when we cook them.


Remove steak from fridge. Pat dry AGAIN. You will notice more liquid has come off the steaks. Cut the flat-iron into three steaks. Lightly salt both sides with kosher salt. Let sit at room temperature for about 15 minutes.

Season your steak with your coffee rub. Just get a good crust on both sides. I just peppered, garlic and used smoked paprika on the other two pieces.

In a cast-iron skillet, set your stove top to between medium high and high. Let it get really hot. If you coat your cast-iron skillet with oil after you clean it, it should be all you need. You may even see the pan smoke a little. 



Place the steak into hot pan and sear each side for about two minutes. You want to just make sure  you get a good, dark crust on the steak.

Place the steaks in a 350 degree preheated oven. After the steaks have sat in the oven for about two minutes, turn the oven OFF. No peeking! Set a timer for about eight minutes and let the steaks sit in there. (Note: I had to adjust this some because instead of using my oven I used a toaster oven. I had to adjust for desired results.)

If want your steak to be a little more done, wait a couple more minutes before turning the oven off. This result got me a rare/medium rare steak. Please don't overcook this piece of meat. It will be like eating shoe leather.

Remove steak from oven and lay on a cutting board to rest for about ten minutes. It helps the tenderness of the steak when you let this cut of meat rest.

After letting the steak rest, place on a plate with some roasted vegetables. I roasted some zucchini and onion in the oven at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. I coated with olive oil and salt and pepper. 

I put a little sriracha on my plate for extra kick.

And that is it! The coffee rub is now a new favorite of mine. Try it! My wife doesn't even like coffee and she said it had a good flavor. Awesome.

Here is the jpg of the recipe!




Post a Comment