Crab Rangoon-Cream Cheese Wontons

When going to a Chinese or Japanese restaurant, one of my favorite items to eat is the crab Rangoon that is basically a fried piece of cream cheese. As I was enjoying one, I asked myself the question, "how hard could they be to make?" I decided to try my hand in these, and found out they are not that difficult. Here is what I did:

8 egg roll wrappers
1 block of softened cream cheese
1/2 pack imitation crab meat
2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
1 tsp water
1 quart vegetable oil

In a bowl place softened cream cheese, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Mix well. Add imitation crab meat. Mix well. Place back in fridge and chill for about 30 minutes.









Remove cream cheese mixture from fridge. Now, I got so excited I didn't take pictures of how I stuffed the Rangoon but I'll describe what I did. Take the one egg and crack in a bowl. Add one tsp of water. Beat the egg, which will be your egg wash for the wrappers.

Take a basting brush and baste the egg wash in a square all around the edges of the wrapper. Place about two tsp of the cream cheese mixture in the center of the wrapper.

Take one corner of the wrapper and fold over the mixture to where it meets the other corner.  It should look like a triangle. Then fold the left side to the middle where the stuffing is, then the right side. Finally take the top folded corner and fold over the other two. When finished it should look like a little envelope.

Take preheated vegetable oil(about medium-high or 350 degrees) and place egg rolls in, about four at a time. Cook until golden brown on each side, which only takes about 4 minutes per side.

Remove from oil and place on paper toweled covered plate. Finish cooking the rest.

I will say these are just as good and perhaps better than the ones I've had in the restaurant. Give this one a try, they are delicious!

Popular Posts